We live in the southeast, but we still get some cold winter days, and this cornbread sure hits the spot! I used to make cornbread in a baking dish, but I will never go back after using the cast iron skillet! My daughter was the first to try it, and it was delicious! The sweetness of the cornbread is perfect, and not only does it go good with chili, but for a snack as well!
Iron Skillet Cornbread Recipe:
- 3/4 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 3 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1 and 1/4 Cup Milk
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- Place rack in the center of the oven and heat to 425 degrees. Butter a 12 inch cast iron skillet, and put the skillet in the oven while it heats.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the milk, and butter. Stir until mixed.
- Once the skillet is hot, carefully remove it from the oven. Pour in the batter. Bake until the cornbread is deeply browned, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with butter
*You can also omit the sugar and drizzle honey over it after it is done baking
You can also try it with a nice cup of tea or coffee!