Like most families we love pizza, but when you have a large family, it can get rather expensive to get take-out, so we started making our own! The dough, besides all the gooey cheese and delicious toppings, is the most important part, and you know that making any kind of dough can be tricky. It took us a few hits and misses to find one that is easy and works well, but we did! If you are a pizza fanatic, it might work for you too!
- 2 cups lukewarm water (between 105-115 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 1/4 cups bread flour (you can also use all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- In your mixer (or in a large bowl if kneading by hand)) add warm water, then add the yeast and sugar, let it sit for 5 minutes, then stir to combine.
- Add the olive oil, flour and salt. Using the hook attachment, start to mix on low speed, and then raise to medium speed and knead for approximately 5 minutes or until you have a smooth elastic dough (scrape the hook halfway through kneading and the sides of bowl if needed).
- If mixing by hand add the olive oil, flour, and salt, and then mix with a fork until the dough comes together. On a lightly floured surface knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Place a clean towel over it and put in a warm place to rise (about 2 hours)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- After dough has risen, punch it down a few times.
- Divide into 2 or 3 balls (depending on how big you want your pizza) and let rest for about 20 minutes.
- Lightly oil pizza pans or cookie sheets and fit dough into shape using your clean hands.
- Add your favorite cheese and toppings and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until crust is golden.
The crust comes out thin and crispy (be on the lookout for another favorite dough recipe that comes out thicker)! It’s a great meal to have while playing games, watching movies, or just sitting and talking! Enjoy!